Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI). This rating allows you to independently conduct a wide range of training including certifying students at the Open Water Diver rating, Advanced Open Water Diver, Rescue Diver and Master Scuba Diver. With additional specialty ratings you can also teach many of the specialties offered by PADI. Prerequisites for the OWSI rating are as follows:
- Be certified as a PADI Assistant Instructor OR a current instructor member in good standing with another recreational diver certification agency. Must have been with another agency for at least 6 months.
- Be at least 18 years old or older
- Submit a medical signed by a physician. Medical must be current with in the preceding 12 months.
- Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months and have documented a minimum of 60 logged open water dives. 100 documented open water dives are required before you can attend an Instructor Evaluation (IE).
- Be a current CPR and 1st Aid instructor. If not an Emergency First Response Instructor must be current and in good standing with another certified agency.
- If not certified as a PADI OWD, AOWD and Rescue Diver, submit proof of such certification levels from another recreational diving certification agency.
- Be familiar with the PADI teaching tools, specifically those required for Open Water Diver
- Be familiar with continuing education skills such as knot tying, buoyancy skills and lift bag procedures.
The course is called the Instructor Development Course (IDC). it can be conducted over a 7 day period, or an extended period. A PADI Course Director must conduct the course. It involves academics, confined water and open water. In each segment you will learn different aspects associated with training scuba divers to the various levels. A final evaluation, the Instructor Evaluation (IE) conducted by a PADI Instructor Examiner, is required to become certified as an Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI).
Tortuga Bay is a PADI 5 Star Training Center, the only one in Northern Colorado. We have a full time Course Director on staff. IDC’s can be arranged on an as need basis or you can join a scheduled IDC. IDC’s at locations outside of Tortuga Bay can also be arranged.