Assistant Open Water Instructor is the next step after you have earned your Divemaster rating. The AI rating is part of the total Instructor Development Course (IDC), and can be incorporated as part of a complete IDC, or can be broken out as a standalone course. As an AI, you will be able do more under direct, or indirect supervision than allowed as a Divemaster. It is an excellent training ground for becoming an Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI). Prerequisites are as follows:
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster OR hold a leadership level certification with another recreational diver training organization.
- Be at least 18 years old or older
- Submit a medical statement signed by a physician. Must be current within the preceeding 12 months.
- Have been a certified diver for at least six months and have completed and logged at least 60 open water dives.
- Must have experience in Deep and Night diving and be documented in your logbook.
- Submit proof of CPR and 1st Aid certification. Must be current within the preceding 24 months.
- If not a PADI Open Water, Advanced and Rescue diver, submit proof of certification in these levels from another recreational scuba training agency.
- If not a PADI Divemaster, successfully complete the PADI Divemaster course diver rescue skills assessment.